Thursday, January 11, 2007

How to Spend 30 Minutes with God

(Our pastor preached last night about how we should get a desire to spend time with God. Below, you'll find his outline on how to spend at least 30 minutes with God.)

1. Praise - thanking God for what He is has done.
5 minutes (Spend 1 minute making a list & 4 minutes praising God.)

2. Worship - thanking God for who He is.
5 minutes (Spend 1 minute making a list & 4 minutes worshipping God.)

3. Confession - "to say the same" - be specific
5 minutes (Spend 1 minute making a list & 4 minutes confessing your sin to God.)

4. Prayer for basic needs -
1 minute (Matthew 6:11 "Give us this day our daily bread.")

5. Prayer for others - 2 minutes

6. Prayer for love - 3 minutes

7. Prayer for wisdom -
3 minutes (James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.")

8. Prayer for the power of the Holy Spirit
5 minutes (Ephesians 5:18 "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;")

9. Conclusion - 1 minute

- Claim a promise (Matthew 6:6 "But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.")

- Ask forgiveness for anything you may have asked amiss (James 4:3 "Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.")

- My final plea (Psalm 5:1-3 "To the chief Musician upon Nehiloth, A Psalm of David. Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation. Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray. My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.")

- Give God the last bit of glory (1Timothy 1:17 "Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.")
~Joshua~

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is good!! I personally don't have a hard time spending at least 30 minutes in prayer...but I know alot of people who do. For me though....I can't even talk on the phone without keeping the person I'm talking with on there for an hour or so...and writing letters or cards...just ask my kids!! LOL!! I love to talk and praying is talking with the One Who saved me from hell and damnation...so there is much to say to Him. Good post!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. I am glad I read it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, great outline. I bet that was a good sermon.

~Kristi

Anonymous said...

Great post! I really appriciate this outline, Scriptures and points. Very useful. Keep us the good work.

Anonymous said...

That is a great post and sounds like an awesome sermon. I can actaully spend hours in prayer but I do know many people who find it hard to spend more than a minute or two in prayer.