Wednesday, October 24, 2007

DaVinci Code

"And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables." (2Timothy 4:4)

"Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen..." (Jeremiah 10:2)

I've been hearing people talk about "The DaVinci Code". When the book first came out a few years ago, I thought most Christians steered clear of it. Since the movie has come in the spotlight, I think the book has gained popularity, now even among Christians. I hear them say things like, "It's good entertainment", or "It really is like that in the picture of the Last Supper". So, what? Who says that a painting (by a non-believer) has any validity? I heard several pastors on the radio say that they would watch it for "entertainment", after all it's just fiction (duhhh!).

Anything Hollywood produces about the Bible, Christianity, or religion, you can always expect to be twisted and distorted. But DaVinci Code isn't just a differing viewpoint or slight misrepresentation. It is complete heresy, I would even say blasphemy, about our perfect, sinless Saviour. It completely contradicts the Bible. Of course it's fiction, anything that contradicts the Bible is fiction.

Now I like action, adventure, mystery, these things are entertainment. But to me, blasphemy is not entertainment. If the Spirit of Christ lives in your heart, how could He let you find this entertaining? You're either not born again, or so far out in sin and disobedience, that you have absolutely no spiritual discernment.

You know how when you tell a kid not to go into a closet, because there are presents or something hidden in there? What do they do? They look for a way in. That's why so many Christians will go see this movie, because of the controversy, because they've been told not to. I think that's what the movie producers are counting on to make this a big hit, just like The Passion, or any other controversial film. Supposedly the producer has a disclaimer on this movie that it is fiction, and he doesn't believe it. Then why make it? Because of the "love of money". Many Christians will make excuses to see this movie, like "It's only for entertainment" or "I must watch it for evaluation purposes" or something like that. But it boils down to the fact that they've fallen into the snare, and been suckered in just like everybody else.

I've heard people (who claim to be Christians) at work talking about this. I never hear them talking about the Bible, Jesus, their church. I usually hear them talking about drinking, partying, and other worldly things. What's wrong with people? A "great falling away" from the truth is happening more rapidly than ever. Once this book and movie have been around a while, and so many have put their approval on it, or been silent about it, then years down the road, people will begin to say, "Maybe it really is true."

The short of it is: Save your money, stay home, do something productive around the house, spend time with your family, read your Bible, and leave the world to their lies, fables, and nonsense. This sort of reminds me of all the hoopla of "The Passion" a while back. A lot of people jumped onto that Catholic bandwagon. You don't hear much of it anymore though. This too, will pass.

"For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty...We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed..." (2Peter 1:16-19)

"That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;"... "This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their own mind, Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:" (Ephesians 4:14,17-18)

"If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained. But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness." (1Timothy 4:6-7)

(taken from Bro. Josh's Bible Thoughts)

7 comments:

Theresa's Notes said...

First, thank you for coming to my blog and leaving me a comment.

Second, I really like your thoughts on that really bad/evil movie. I'm so happy to know that not all young "Christians" will watch that movie.

I'm happy to have found your blog. I let my 15 year old read what you have written. We will come back.

Anonymous said...

I applaud your boldness, my young brother!! Good post!

The Good Reporters said...

A note from Theresa,
Thanks for stopping by my site too. I hope this article will open the eyes to some "Christians".

The Good Reporters said...

Maranatha,
It's good to see you back. I was wondering where you went. Thanks for stopping by again and taking the time to leave a comment.

Dave said...

Great Post!!!

Sis. Julie said...

I don't know of anything that Hollywood puts out that is biblical. They always portray it as being such but none of it is. The thing is that there is just enough lie or deception in it to distort the whole thing. But it makes it believable for Christians to think it is okay. Satan is one sly devil!!

Anonymous said...

What do you guys have against the Catholics? They believe in Christ, seriously, I thought the whole point of being a Christian was this: "Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another" (1 John 4:11)

Am I missing something or am I just really loving of all walks of life?