Friday, November 02, 2007

God Is Pro-Life, Anti-Abortion

God cares about life. In particular, He cares about human life. He cares so much that he told his disciples that the very hairs of our heads are numbered. For many, the question seems to be, when does God start caring? When does life begin?

I believe it's quite obvious that life begins before we are actually "born" or delivered from our mother's womb. It's just a no-brainer. To borrow one of Rush Limbaugh's lines: "Anyone who can open a pack of instant oatmeal, add water to it, and have oatmeal for breakfast, should be able to figure that one out." There are many accounts in the Bible that give us proof of life while in the mother's womb. Jeremiah and John the Baptist were filled with the Holy Spirit while in their mother's womb. John the Baptist lept for joy while in the womb, when he came into the vacinity of Jesus, who was also in his mother's womb. Jacob and Esau wrestled while in the womb together.

God even gave laws concerning injuring a woman who is with child:

"If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine." (Exodus 21:22)

In other words if a pregnant woman is injured so that she could possibly lose the child, then they would evidently wait, and see what happened. If the unborn child was not lost (if no mischief follow) then the guilty party would still receive punishment according as the judges ruled, and as the husband "lay upon him", or in our terms "he laid into him" (like I would).
But notice the next verse:

"And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life," (Exodus 21:23)

If it turns out the baby dies, then the guilty party suffers the death penalty, a life for a life. I wonder what all those baby murdering, abortion doctors think about that passage?

But still yet, how early on can we consider a life in the womb? Let's see what else God's word has to say on the subject:

"For thou hast posessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them. How precious are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee." (Psalm 139:13-18)

Notice some key terms in this passage:

reins: (v.13) The Hebrews believed that the reins were the first part of the fetus to be formed. Some believe it refers to the kidneys. Either way, it's obviously talking about our foundations, as we begin to form in the womb.

covered me: (v.13) The embryo is alive safe and sound, covered in the womb.

substance: (vv. 15,16) Our basic frame, bones and nervous system.(See also Ecclesiastes 11:5)

curiously wrought: (v.15) Literally "embroidered". God sewed us together.

unperfect: (v.16) Not completely grown yet, but still a life.

Yes, there is life in the womb, even from the earliest stages. God is interested and involved with our lives even then. But can we go back any further? How about before the womb?

"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee," (Jeremiah 1:5)

This says God knew Jeremiah before he even began to form in the womb. The egg is fertilized before it reaches the womb. At the moment of fertilization, you now no longer have two separate parts, you have one child. This is conception. Most birth control methods claim to prevent this stage, conception. Unfortunately, some birth control methods also not only prevent conception, but can also (in the event that fertilization occurs) work to destroy the fetus before it reaches the womb, or even after it attaches to the womb. This evidently occurs more often than we think. There's information out there, if you look. You should be concerned enough to find out. For a further study in this issue, take a look at the following link, it lists some types of birth control that do this:

http://www.wayoflife.org/otimothy/tl110003.htm

Lest I be misrepresented or misunderstood, as is commonly the case (even among my own family and friends), let me go on record here that I'm not saying that you shouldn't use birth control at all. I have my own convictions, other husbands and wives should have theirs. It's between them and God. But what I am against, without apology, is the use of any type of birth control method that kills already fertilized eggs. This is abortion. If you use a birth control, find out about it, and how it works. I wonder how many Christians will stand before Jesus at the judgement seat, and find out that they themselves have caused many abortions, and never realized it. God said "Be fruitful and multiply". I realize there are legitimate reasons for not having children, but there are no excusable reasons for Infanticide (baby murder).

For Christians:

"Before" the womb seems pretty early for God to know us. Can we go back any further than that? A Christian can. Look at what Apostle Paul wrote:

"According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Christ Jesus to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us acepted in the beloved." (Ephesians 1:4-6)

This passage (as well as others), says that a Christian, a child of God, a Believer in Jesus Christ, was chosen in Him, before the foundation of the world. That means that as a child of God, before I was born, before I was in the womb, even before I was conceived, I was chosen In Christ.

God loves mankind so much, he died for them. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

God loves life, and hates murder, especially the cold blooded murder of innocent blood (babies, unborn children).

"These... things doth the LORD hate ... hands that shed innocent blood." (Proverbs 6:16-17)
What blood could be more innocent, than that of an unborn child?

God is without a question, Pro-Life and Anti-Abortion.
(taken from Bro. Josh's Bible Thoughts)

No comments: