> Prayer in the strictest sense of the word is simply asking.
> When we pray, we are asking God for something. Effectual prayer is prayer that gets results.
> As we learned in earlier weeks, there are several ways we ought to communicate with God that prepare us for prayer. These are things that get God's attention and pave the way for answered prayer.
1. Praise - Thanking God for what He has done
2. Worship - Thanking God for who He is
3. Confession - To say the same
Presenting Your Case To God
> Now then, we are ready to pray.
> However, effective prayer is not just determined by the amount of time spent in prayer. Matthew 6:7 "But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking."
> Effective prayer begins with planning our argument.
> Once we have planned our argument then we are ready to present our case. Generally speaking you will want to spend 25% of your time preparing your case.
1. Write down your requests.
2. Write down others for whom He has done the same thing.
3. Write down the promises from His Word you are going to show Him.
4. Write down the reasons it would be good for Him if He answered your prayer.
5. Write down what you will do if He gives you that for which you are going to ask.
6. Write down things about which to brag on Him.
7. Remind Him that you are not asking this for yourself.
8. Remind Him of how hard you have worked.
9. Write down reasons it is best if He gives you that for which you are asking.
Three Things That Should Top Your Prayer List
1. Power of the Holy Spirit - Luke 11:1-13
> We should daily beg for God's power.
> We should spend more time on this than any other part of our prayer list.
2. Wisdom - Proverbs 4:7 "Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."
> List the relationships in your life and responsibilities of your life that require wisdom.
3. Love - 1 Corinthians 13:13 "And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity." Every one deserves to have at least one person in their life that will love them like Jesus loves them. God help us to be that person!
> List the relationships in your life and responsibilities of your life that require a Christ-like love.