Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Created and Made

While my son was in Jackson Hole Bible College one of his teachers began teaching a modified version of the gap theory/day-age theory. My son was torn up by the confusion it caused in his mind so I wrote this letter to help him see the subject clearly.
Dear Eric,
It's 3 a.m. and I can't sleep for thinking of you and praying for you. I'm in Missouri having a great meeting. As I was preaching today on my seminar 1B about the gap theory and the ruin restoration theory, I was stuck once again by the importance on the subject and was nearly overwhelmed with anguish by the thought that I have sent my son off to school to study to join my ministry team only to have him taught something I am so vehemently against. I nearly lost my train of thought as I was preaching. For the first time in years I got confused in my seminar as my mind was filled with grief for what has happened to you.
Had I known that the school there had a teacher that taught the ruin restoration theory I would never have suggested that you or anyone else go there. I know how impressionable young minds are and how difficult it is to undo damage that has been done by false teaching. As I have prayed and meditated on this subject my heart has become so burdened. I feel as if I have been robbed of my son. I know this subject will be a wall of separation between us if we cannot resolve it. That is the last thing I ever wanted. I had such high hopes of you traveling with me or for me in this vital ministry God has thrust upon me. I am hurt, confused and frustrated by what has happened. I am praying more for you as a result of this.
Your teacher has the distinct advantage of being with you many hours whereas I can only try to convince you on occasion by phone or letters. I refuse to accept mail or e-mail debates with evolutionists because while they tie up hours of my time I could be reaching a dozen others who want to hear with the truth. I normally would not take time to write a letter such as this but you are my son and I love you with all my heart. Two cannot walk together unless they be agreed. I will not let one teacher take my son from me or erect a wall of separation between us. Please consider these verses from my perspective as I have tried to do from your teacher's perspective.
The teacher made a big deal out of the difference between the words "created" and "made" used in the Bible. He told you this was proof of a pre-Adamite civilization. Comparing the following verses will clearly demonstrate he is wrong. The words are used interchangeably all throughout the Bible.

Heaven and Earth
Made: Gen. 2:1, 2:4, Is 45:12, 18Created: Gen.1:1, 2:4, Is. 40:28, 42:5, 18; I Cor. 1:16; Rev 4:10, 10:6
Firmament (heavens)
Made: Gen. 1:7, I Chron 16:26Created: Ps. 148:5, Is. 45:18; I Cor 1:16; Rev 4:10, 10:6
The Trees
Made: Is. 41:20Created: Is. 41:20; I Cor 1:16; Rev 4:10, 10:6
Animals in the sea
Made: Gen. 3:1Created: Gen. 1:21; I Cor 1:16; I Tim. 4:4; Rev 4:10, 10:6
Animals on land
Made (or formed) : Gen 1:25, 2:19Created: I Cor 1:16; Rev 4:10, 10:6
Man
Made: Gen. 1:26, 5:1, 6:6&7, 9:6Created: Gen. 1:27, 5:1&2, 6:7, Deut. 4:32, Is. 43:1, Is. 45:12, Mal. 2:10; I Cor 1:16; Rev 4:10, 10:6
Woman
Made: Gen. 2:18, 2:22Created: Gen. 1:27, I Cor. 11:8; I Cor 1:16; Rev 4:10, 10:6
Everything
Made: Gen. 1:16 (stars) 31(everything), 2:3, 7:4, Amos 4:13 (mountains)Created: Gen. 2:3 Amos 4:13 (wind); I Cor 1:16; Rev 4:10, 10:6
Lucifer
Created: Is. 28:13, 15; Rev 4:10, 10:6
Genesis 1
1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so. Gen 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. 1:21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
Genesis 2
2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, 2:5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; 2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. See 5:2
Genesis 3
3:1 Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made.
Genesis 5
5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him; 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
Genesis 6
6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. 6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
Genesis 7
7:4 For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.
Genesis 9
9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.
Deuteronomy 4
4:32 For ask now of the days that are past, which were before thee, since the day that God created man upon the earth, and ask from the one side of heaven unto the other,
I Chronicles 16
16:26 For all the gods of the people are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
Psalms 51
51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
Psalms 89
89:12 The north and the south thou hast created them: Tabor and Hermon shall rejoice in thy name.
Psalms 102
102:18 This shall be written for the generation to come: and the people which shall be created shall praise the LORD.
Psalms 104
104:30 Thou sendest forth thy spirit, they are created: and thou renewest the face of the earth.
Psalms 148
148:2 Praise ye him, all his angels: praise ye him, all his hosts. 148:3 Praise ye him, sun and moon: praise him, all ye stars of light. 148:4 Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens. 148:5 Let them praise the name of the LORD: for he commanded, and they were created.
Isaiah 4
4:5 And the LORD will create upon every dwelling place of mount Zion, and upon her assemblies, a cloud and smoke by day, and the shining of a flaming fire by night:
Isaiah 40
40:26 Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number: he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, for that he is strong in power; not one faileth. 40:28 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary?
Isaiah 41
41:19 I will plant in the wilderness the cedar, the shittah tree, and the myrtle, and the oil tree; I will set in the desert the fir tree, and the pine, and the box tree together: 41:20 That they may see, and know, and consider, and understand together, that the hand of the LORD hath done this, and the Holy One of Israel hath created it.
Isaiah 42
42:5 Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth,
Isaiah 43
43:1 But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: 43:6 Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.
Isaiah 45
45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. 45:8 Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD have created it. 45:12 I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, 45:18 For thus saith the LORD that createdthe heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.
Isaiah 48
48:6 Thou hast heard, see all this; and will not ye declare it? I have showed thee new things from this time, even hidden things, and thou didst not know them. 48:7 They are created now, and not from the beginning; even before the day when thou heardest them not;
Isaiah 54
54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.
Isaiah 57
57:19 I create the fruit of the lips; Peace, peace to him that is far off, and to him that is near, saith the LORD; and I will heal him.
Isaiah 65
65:17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind. 65:18 But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
Jeremiah 31
31:22 How long wilt thou go about, O thou backsliding daughter? for the LORD hath created a new thing in the earth, A woman shall compass a man.
Ezekiel 21
21:30 Shall I cause it to return into his sheath? I will judge thee in the place where thou wast created, in the land of thy nativity.
Ezekiel 28
28:13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. 28:14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. 28:15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
Amos 4
4:13 For, lo, he that formeth the mountains, and createth the wind, and declareth unto man what is his thought, that maketh the morning darkness, and treadeth upon the high places of the earth, The LORD, The God of hosts, is his name.
Malachi 2
2:10 Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us? why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?
Mark 13
13:19 For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.
I Corinthians 11
11:8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. 11:9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
Ephesians
2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: 4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
Colossians
1:12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; 3:10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
I Timothy 4
4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
Revelation
4:10 cast their crowns before the throne, saying, 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. 10:6 And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer
:
These are all the verses that use the word create or created. Notice the things that God Created. There are 1406 references to things God made.
I hope this has been helpful in showing you that the words are used interchangeably and should not be used to force a meaning to the Bible that will clearly contradict other verses. Keep studying the Word and do not get carried about with every wind of doctrine. The wind changes often, God's word never does.
Love,
Dr. Kent Hovind

No comments: