Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Today, I want to share with you II Corinthians 5:17. "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." In this passage the Bible talks about new converts becoming a "new creature". In the middle column of my Bible, there is a cross reference to Romans 6:4. "Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life." In the last part of this verse it says, "we also should walk in newness of life".
Sad to say, many of our "new converts" today do not have that "newness of life". They may come to church for a couple of months but pretty soon they are right back where they were. I can't help but wonder some times if their "profession" was truly a "possession". I am not saying that a new christian will automatically be mature in their walk. II Peter 3:18 still says, "But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ." But, at the same time, there should be a change in your life.....a lasting change.
How about you? When you made that profession, did you become a "new creature"? Did you have a new life in Christ? Was it just a profession, or was there a possession also?
~Caleb~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are certainly correct that many people today give professions of salvation but go on to show no signs of conversion. They bear no fruit, they do not make any attempt to serve God. You have an excellent post here. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Praise God with me it is a possession as well!! There is not a doubt in my heart or mind that I became a new creature. Those that knew me before can testify to that as well. And my profession has lasted going on 13 years now. But I do feel like you do about those that profess salvation and are in and out of church from the start and don't desire to learn anything of the Lord. That to me puts up a warning flag. All we can do is pray for those that are like that....only God knows their heart condition but the fruit will testify also!! Good post Caleb!!

The Good Reporters said...

Thanks for your comments.

Anonymous said...

Caleb, this was a great post. I enjoyed reading it.

~Kristi